Some time ago, I managed to build up a sufficiently large ego as to think that I would be able to write a good accounting system from scratch.
I went ahead and started a project on Google Code called 'accsys'.
Soon after creating the project, I became overwhelmed with life and work - and my dream of a good, free, web based accounting system that would also be accessible through web services fell to the wayside.
Life and work have not calmed down since then - they have probably only gotten more hectic. But, I don't want to put off starting this any longer.
So, I'm not going to. Today marks the beginning of the design phase of my project. Over the next two weeks, I should have enough time to work out the general framework and the data structures for the first module (general ledger).
If you would like to keep up with the progress of my new baby - here is the URL of the project home page: http://code.google.com/p/accsys/
I will also make updates here to track my progress.