Monday, February 25, 2019

100 Days of Code...formalizing learning and practice

Over the years, I've tried to make sure that I dip my toes in the new technologies that come up pertaining to programming.

Of course - there are far too many new avenues to be able to keep up with everything. And, for anyone that's been in tech for a while you know that not every shiny new thing lasts. So, there is a bit of fear that I'll head down a road that everyone else shuns.

Those two things (too many things to learn and fear) have made my efforts to stay 'current' less than stellar. Add on top of that the fact that I have a full time job in IT that has its own demands on my brain and time and it has been difficult to make the kind of progress that I would like to.

Well, last week I stumbled onto the 100 Days of Code challenge wandering around in Twitter.

And - I'm in...

Today is my third (should have been fourth but I missed a day) day and I have already worked on three separate topics:

  • Practicing Python by working through the exercises in the book 'Exercises for Programmers' by Brian P. Hogan
  • Going through the React course on Scrimba (about halfway through with this)
  • Digging into code that I wrote at least six years ago at work to refactor/improve it


Hopefully, I'll be able to finish these three things quickly and then make a more concerted and focused learning journey.

I've got many other topics that I want to study - so I have in the back of my head the plan to move on to round 2, round 3, round...

First things first though - this is day three.

No comments: